History of the building of the Permanent Representation

The Permanent Representation is located at Villa Stephan (75, allée de la Robertsau).

The center of Strasbourg shipbuilding lay in the area of today’s Rue de la Schiffmatt and Allée de la Robertsau. Its production capacity allowed to build and repair up to 200 boats at a time.

The building of the Permanent Representation was constructed on a now-filled arm of the Rhine which was called the Blumengiessen (later it was known as the Wuhrgiessen). It flowed through the territory of a current Citadelle, Boulevard Leblois, Boulevard de la Marne, Rue Mozart and the odd-numbered side of Rue Trubner. The Blumengiessen ran along Rue Westercamp and Rue de la Schiffmatt. It crossed a current Allée de la Robertsau and flowed further until a present Boulevard Paul Déroulède. It disembogued the Ill at a current Pont Ducrot. After the Citadelle had been erected, the water of the Blumengiessen was used to fill the moat.

The Permanent Representation is housed in Villa Stephan which was built in 1899. Its architecture was influenced by baroque (neo-baroque) style. The project was developed by Berninger et Krafft architect bureau founded by two partners Gustave Krafft and Jules Geoffroy Berninger.

This building was purchased by the Russian Federation in 1993. Since 1996 the Permanent Representation has headquartered here.